Still denying all charges, former president Park Geun-hye appears at trial.
박근혜 전 대통령이 지난 23일, 서울에서 열린 재판에서 모든 혐의를 부인했습니다.

Park is facing 18 charges, including bribery (as defined in the Act on Aggravated Punishment for Specific Crimes) for demanding or receiving 59.2 billion won (US$52.59 million) from Samsung, Lotte and SK. For the first 50 minutes of the trial on May 23 in Seoul, prosecutors presented their opening statement, in which they laid out the 18 charges against Park, the names of the crimes and the relevant legal passages. But Park’s attorney denied all the charges, stating that “the charges had not been strictly demonstrated but rather depended on deduction and imagination.” During the hearing, the court resolved to merge Park’s and Choi’s trials, over the objections of Park and Choi’s attorneys, the court is planning to focus on the case, holding three or four hearings a week.

삼성·롯데·에스케이(SK)에서 592억원을 받거나 요구한 혐의(특정범죄 가중처벌 등에 관한 법률의 뇌물) 등 18가지 혐의입니다. 재판이 시작되자 검찰은 50분 동안 박 전 대통령의 18가지 공소사실과 죄명, 적용 법조 등을 조목조목 밝히며 모든 진술을 이어갔습니다. 반면 박 전 대통령의 변호인 유영하 변호사는 “엄격한 증명이 아니라 추론과 상상에 기인해 기소됐다”며 모든 혐의를 부인했습니다. 박 전 대통령도 “피고인도 공소사실을 부인하는 게 맞습니까”라는 재판장의 질문에 “변호인 입장과 같습니다”라고 짧게 답했습니다. 재판부는 이날 재판에서 박 전 대통령 사건과 최씨의 ‘삼성 뇌물 사건’을 병합하기로 결정했고 이에 따라 다음주부터는 주3~4회 심리가 있을 예정입니다.

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/796062.html

 

 

Nat’l Population at 51.7 Mn, Seniors Take up 13.8%
한국의 인구는 5170만명이며, 이 중 노인은 13.8%로 집계되었습니다.

South Korea is fast becoming an aged society, and new data is shedding more light on the problem. The Ministry of the Interior said May 25 that the registered national population stood at 51-point-72 million as of late April. Children up to age 14 account for 13-point-three percent of that population while seniors above 65 take up 13-point-eight percent. Demographic researchers categorize any society with more than seven percent elderly population as “aging,” and when that ratio pushes past 14 per cent, the society is “aged.” The percentage of youths up to 14 years old fell by nearly four percentage points over the past nine years.

한국이 빠른 속도로 “고령” 사회로 접어 들고 있습니다. 내무부가 지난 25일 발표한 바에 따르면 4월 말 기준 전국의 등록 인구는 5172 만명입니다. 14 세까지의 어린이는 인구의 13.3 %를 차지하고 65 세 이상의 노인은 13.8 %를 차지합니다. 인구 통계학 연구자들은 노령 인구가 7 % 이상인 사회를 “고령화사회”로 분류하고 그 비율이 14 %를 넘으면 “고령사회”로 분류합니다. 14 세까지 청소년의 비율은 지난 9 년 동안 거의 4 % 포인트 떨어졌습니다.

http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/news/news_Dm_detail.htm?lang=e&id=Dm&No=127574&current_page=

 

Korea to Fully Compensate Firms Hit by Shutdown of Gaeseong Complex
통일부가”개성공단 기업피해 추가지원 추진”안을 국정기획위에 보고했습니다.

South Korea has reportedly decided to fully compensate companies that were forced out of the inter-Korean Gaeseong Industrial Complex following its shutdown. A Unification Ministry official in Seoul said on May 28 that the government compensated part of the losses that companies operated out of Gaeseong incurred, but it is now moving to fully compensate documented losses. The government paid 508 billion won in compensation for South Korean firms in the complex since it ordered the shutdown of the industrial park in February last year. The figure is 72% of the documented losses. Gaeseong firms have called for additional compensation, saying that the factory was shut down due to the South Korean government’s decision.

통일부 관계자는 28일 “개성공단 가동 중단에 따른 입주기업 피해 대책과 관련해서 추가 지원 등의 경영 정상화를 위해 노력한다는 방침을 지난 26일 국정기획자문위원회에 보고했다”고 말했습니다. 이에 따라 그 동안 개성공단 가동 중단에 따른 기업 피해 중 일부만 보상했던 통일부는 나머지 피해에 대해서도 추가로 지원하는 방안을 추진할 것으로 예상됩니다. 정부는 지난해 2월 개성공단 전면 가동 중단을 선언한 이후 입주기업에 모두 5천79억 원을 보상했습니다. 이는 확인된 피해액의 72%수준이어서, 입주기업들은 정부의 정책적 판단에 따라 개성공단이 가동 중단된 만큼 보상이 부족하다며 추가 보상을 요구해 왔습니다.

http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/news/news_Po_detail.htm?No=127622&id=Po

Investigators restore media files from ferry victims’ smartphones
세월호에서 발견된 스마트폰의 미디어 파일이 복원되었습니다.

A committee investigating the body of the salvaged Sewol ferry said May 26 that it has successfully restored media files and other data from at least two mobile phones found inside the wrecked ship. According to officials, forensic experts restored 142,162 photos, 2,952 text messages, eight videos and 409 voice files from one of the two smartphones, which ceased to operate at 10:01 a.m. on April 16, 2014. The unnamed user had checked his or her messages until 9:29 a.m. Another handset, which stopped operation at 9:47 am on the same day, also contained similar volumes of various data, officials said. Content and other details of the restored media files were not disclosed.

세월호 선체조사위원회는 지난 26일 선내에서 발견된 두 개의 스마트폰의 미디어 파일을 복원했다고 밝혔습니다. 포렌식 전문가들에 따르면 두 개 중 하나의 스마트폰에서만 14만여개의 사진, 2900여개의 문자 메시지, 8개의 동영상 및 400여개의 녹음파일이 복원되었고, 이 기기는 참사 당일 오전 10시 1분경에 작동을 멈추었습니다. 익명의 사용자는 메시지를 9시29분까지 확인했습니다. 같은 날 오전 9시 47 분에 작동을 멈춘 또 다른 단말기에도 비슷한 양의 다양한 데이터가 포함되어 있다고 관계자는 전했습니다. 복원 된 미디어 파일의 내용 및 기타 세부 사항은 공개되지 않았습니다.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/search1/2603000000.html?cid=AEN20170526004400315